Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Teacup Dress

There is something I have always wanted in my wardrobe, a teacup dress. I love to use imagery of my favorite things in my sewing. Usually it's a mix of sewing items and tattoos, but I definitely have needed teacups in my closet for a long time. I found this amazing fabric at Joann's in the red tag section and in addition to being on clearance it was an additional 50% off! Holy hot darn now is my time. I bought everything they had and I was not truly sure it was going to be enough, it was only 2 yards and 15 inches. On top of that the woman cutting wanted to even out the cut at the end of the bolt. I nearly hopped across the table to stop her. I needed every inch. 


I decided to use an altered version of my spring for cotton dress. The fit of that bodice was so fabulous that I knew I could change it a little and make something fabulous. Another thing that I have been hankering for is a contrast stand collar and button band. After making a new version of the bodice I set to work on the collar and button band.


I decided to do a small stand collar. I wanted to keep the actual collar quite narrow, I wanted it to be delicate. The fit on dress form was fabulous, it made me so excited to get it on my body!


The next big decision I had to make was buttons. I love buttons, but they are hard to choose between, too much awesomeness. I hemmed and hawed for a while and in the end I fell in love with the black buttons. I just love them, it's kind of mimicking a tux front too. It feels so classy.


I did a little spot check and pinned the bodice on myself in the mirror. I only became more excited after that. GET THIS DRESS ON MY BODY!



I popped on a few buttonholes, my machine Bernice, makes the most amazing buttonholes, and then the bodice was good to go.


Once I solved the bodice, the next hurdle was the skirt. I did a gathered skirt with inseam pockets. With very few exceptions I think that all dresses need pockets! I also put on these little white flanges in armscye for some extra detail in the sleeve.




Hopefully there will be a photoshoot soon, but long story short. I love this dress and can't wait to get more wears out of it.


Since losing all my weight I don't have as many me made items for May coming up. So I am working on increasing the things I can wear, and this little number will certainly be on the list!






2 comments:

  1. adorable! I love it. It seems to me to have a Zooey Deschanel vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sara, I could totally see that! I love Zooey Deschanel! I think that everything I make should be weighed against whether or not she would wear it. I love her style! BTW thanks for being my first follower. SO EXCITING!

      Delete